Ear Training Camp: Develop Your Musical Ear
Ages: 10 & Up
Dates: July 17-July 21
Size: Maximum of 8 students
Teacher: Claire Lee
Location: The Music Studio
For all students who are able to read treble and bass clef notes
Students will focus on developing ear training skills through exercises including: listening analysis, singing and playing back melodies, transcribing, and playing them on their instruments. Each exercise will be approximately 50 minutes long with 10 minute breaks in between.
Goals of the camp include: learning a song by ear, improving aural skills (melodic dictation, interval recognition, rhythmic awareness) and learning to sing in pitch. Students will each have one song for which they will have as a goal to write (transcribe) their own lead sheet for the song by the end of the camp.
A Day at Camp:
- Students will be in a group listening format, where the class will listen to different genres of songs and analyze the form, time signature, key, style, instrumentation, etc.
- Break - games such as listening quizzes, singing rounds, and writing a melody will occur during break time.
- Students will be covering a basic music theory such as intervals and chords. They will listen to short phrases of music, then sing the melody, clap the rhythm and play them back on their instruments. Rhythmic and melodic dictation will also be covered.
- Students will listen to a song and analyze it as a class and develop the ability to transcribe and notate the music on manuscript paper.
- Students will play the transcription on their instruments and learn how to approach practicing using aural skills while working on it together in class
Call The Music Studio at 416.234.9268 or email email@example.com. Space is limited so register early. Payment in full is due at registration. Extended drop-off and pick-up times are available.