Do-Re-Mi Musical Beginnings Camp: Introduce Your Child to Music
Dates: August 19-August 23
Size: Maximum of 7 students
Teacher: Bogdana Scrivens
Location: The Music Studio
No previous musical experience required.
The purpose of this camp is to expose students to their first experience with music learning: singing songs together, learning rhythms by ear (clapping, tapping), exploring various sounds on the keyboard and early introduction to note reading/playing (Do to Sol). The idea is to learn to work as a team through singing and playing on the keyboard.
A CD accompaniment will be added to simple songs involving playing a single note (e.g. Do) and progresses to five notes (Do to Sol). Students will also have time to practice on their own and receive individual guidance before playing together as a group. The teacher will also accompany students on the piano as they sing songs like 'Mary Had a Little Lamb' using the original lyrics as well as solfege.
A Day at Camp:
- 9:00 am - 10:00 am Morning greeting followed by singing songs and playing on the keyboard together with CD accompaniment
- 10:00 am - 10:30 am Music theory puzzles and colouring
- 10:30 am - 10:45 am Snack
- 10:45 am - 11:15 am Watch a musical DVD of the songs from the morning
- 11:15 am - 11:45 am Solfege singing
- 11:45 am - 12:30pm Free Play
- 12:30 pm - 1:00 pm Lunch (students will provide their own nut-free lunch)
- 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm Review of morning songs (singing and playing on the keyboard)
- 2:00pm - 2:30 pm Music theory puzzles and colouring
- 2:30 pm - 2:45 pm Snack
- 2:45 pm - 3:00 pm Goodbye song and conclude with story telling
By the end of the 5 days, students will have learned Do to Sol. They will prepare several songs for a final performance.